Sunday 2 October 2011

Is It All About Winning?





Hi everyone,


So this is my first blog and its just a little piece I wrote a couple of months ago when I was a bit down in the dumps following another Golden Point game.


So leave me a comment or a little bit of love and I'll try and keep this blog updated as much as possible with my ramblings.


Love, Mary x


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1998 was a very special year in Rugby League. It was the first year the new inaugural NRL competition began, following the Super League Wars of the mid 1990's, the Melbourne Storm were introduced into the competition, Tubthumping by Chumbawumba accompanied every single match as the official song of the NRL, Nathan Hindmarsh made his first grade debut for the Parramatta Eels against the Adelaide Rams in Parkes and I started what I am sure will become a life long love affair with the Parramatta Eels. I was 9 years old.


Over the years, the Parramatta Eels have become one of my greatest loves in life. I have watched them through times of tremendous sadness, like in 1998 when the Bulldogs came up with that miraculous comeback with 10 minutes to go. I watched them in 2001 when we were undoubtedly the best team in the competition, but were to be pipped by a red hot and Andrew Johns inspired Newcastle team. I watched in 2005 as rookies like Tim and Ben Smith led our side to an inspirational finals run, only to be knocked out by the Cowboys and be denied yet again. More recent heartbreak found us only last night, when Nathan Hindmarsh was denied a victory for his 300th career game for Parramatta by a referee call which I have yet to be explained to me.

Despite the heartbreak and the fact that we haven't won a Grand Final since before I was born, the Eels have also brought me tremendous joy. The 2009 Grand Final run is something which instantly comes to mind. The way the team came together, the euphoria in Parramatta during those weeks and the commitment our boys showed, despite losing to an illegal team, is something I hold very dear to my heart. 

Most Parramatta fans I know are extremely frustrated at the moment about not winning a Grand Final. As a result, many look for quick fixes to solve our problems. Most suggest dropping a number of players, sacking the coach, sacking the CEO, getting a new groundskeeper, changing the colour of the grass at Parramatta Stadium.... you get the idea. There really seems to be a mentality which suggests that winning is everything.

I love to win as much as the next footy fan - but the reason I support the Eels clearly has nothing to do with Premiereship success. I love the Eels because they truly are a group of genuine nice guys.

The Parramatta Eels, throughout my years as a supporter, have always been a team which on the whole have promoted Rugby League in a positive manner and been ambassadors for the game which I truly love. Men that come to mind instantly are champions like Nathan Hindmarsh. Nathan Hindmarsh is a dying breed in NRL today. He is a no frills, one club man who gives his all for his club week in week out. He is idolised by children, Parramatta supporters and by NRL supporters in general. He is the type of man that RL should be built around and I am beyond proud that he plays for my team.

Other genuine nice guys that I am proud to call my Eels include Luke Burt, Justin Poore, Nathan Hindmarsh, Nathan Cayless, Tim Mannah, Joel Reddy, Shane Shackleton, Ben Smith and Jeff Robson. The contribution these men have made to not just the Eels, but RL and the community though out their NRL careers is immeasurable. 

It is these contributions that make every year I have supported the Eels special. I know that it has been a couple of very frustrating years as an Eels fan - but when I go and cheer my team on each and every week, I really do look at them with pride and couldn't be happier to call them my team. : ) While winning is important and we are all seeking that Premiereship, to have a team that I can be proud of is something which is more important to me.









No comments:

Post a Comment