Friday 7 October 2011

What To Do With Todd Carney

A blog I wrote a little while ago when Todd Carney was caught out at a late night drinking session with 2 other team mates.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I have to say when I read the news about Todd Carney this morning, I was disappointed, yet unsurprised.

Todd Carney is an exceptionally talented, young athlete, who unfortunately until this point has not had to learn the difficult lesson that actions have consequences.

The first point I would like to make is that I’m not again players being able to consume alcohol during the season.

If I were an elite athlete, I know do everything in my power to maintain my fitness and ensure my body was in peak physical condition. However - I truly see it as a player's choice if they choose to waste the time they spend on training each week by having a few drinks at the end of the week.

How far do we take it? Do we say the player's shouldn't eat fast food either because that is also detrimental to health? What about smoking?
  
As long as players are adhering to their contractual obligations, attending and working hard at training, it really is none of my business whether the players have a drink or two on the weekend. It is their private life and I think should remain that way. 

However, at some point and I would argue it be the case more for younger athletes, who are very often signed on huge contracts at a very young age without perhaps the maturity to deal with the fame, pressure and demand that comes with such a contract, the Clubs do have a responsibility to look after them.

I think the situation of Todd Carney reflects a culture of ‘its all about winning’. He has been allowed indiscretion after indiscretion because of how talented he is. This morning after word that he might be sacked from the Roosters, the first thoughts on my twitter feed were ‘oooo can [insert club name here] pick him up. There is no recognition that there is a young man with a problem and recognising that if the Roosters do sack him – it should not work in the favour of another Club who wants to sign him.

The NRL needs to work together in cases like Todd Carney and recognise that perhaps some time on the sideline is required so he can sort himself out. It reeks of blatant hypocrisy to damn some NRL players for their indiscretions yet allow others multiple chances because of how talented they are on the field.

Player welfare should ALWAYS come first.

No comments:

Post a Comment